Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Toadstool Tuesday

In honor of all the cute Fairy rings in our neighborhood....some of which are HUGE... I have decided that today is Toadstool Tuesday.

I have a few cuties to share with you.
I received the one below in the mail but there was no note and no return address. I don't know who to THANK. So if you are reading this, please let me know who you are....and just so you know, I really love it! Orange is one of my all time favorite colors and polka dots are just my favorite print! It is really lovely.


Here is a photo of the cute little polka dotted underside........too cute!


The next ones are some I did for some swaps....as an angel and as a partner myself. I always send two though...I included one that looks like this one.




And here is another little one I sent off with the red ones. I used this pattern for the red ones and the purple topped one. I was sort of freaked out because I couldn't find Karin's blog anywhere. After much web surfing, I found that she had moved. I'm glad I found her again...if you haven't checked out her blog, it is beautiful.

I wanted to try making a tiny one that was in one piece...so I didn't have to fasten off and join the cap and stem. It turned out like this:


If you are interested, here is the pattern:

You'll need:

G crochet hook
Bits of yarn
stuffing
blunt needle
scissors

Row 1: SC 6 into a magic ring
Row 2: SC 2 into each sc, around = 12
Row 3: SC 1 into next sc, then SC 2 into next sc, around = 18
Row 4: SC 1 into next 2 sc, then SC 2 into next sc, around = 24
Row 5: SC 1 into next 3 sc, then SC 2 into next sc, around = 30
Row 6: SC 1 into next 4 sc, then SC 2 into next sc, around = 36
Row 7: SC in each sc around = 36

This makes the cap part, now to start forming the underside.
Begin Decreases:

Row 8: work decrease, sc 4, around = 30
Row 9: work decrease, sc 3 around = 24
Row 10: work decrease, sc 2 around= 18

at this point you can stuff cap lightly...do not fasten off though.

This starts the neck of the stem....

Row 11: decrease around = 9
Row 12 and 13: sc around = 9

The rest of the stem:

Row 14: 1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next, around = 13
Row 15: 1 sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next, around = 17
Row 16: sc around = 17

At this point, thread same colored yarn on a blunt needle. Go up inside stem and while pressing the cap down, stitch around the rim to flatten it out a bit.

Lightly stuff stem.

To finish:

Row 17: sc around = 17
Row 18: work 1 dec, sc 6, work 1 dec , 1 sc = 14
Row 19: work 1 dec, sc in next, around = 9
Row 20: decrease around and close hole. Fasten off and sew yarn into stem to hide.

Using your thumb, flare out the bottom a bit and stuff the knot and a row or 2 of the stem up into itself. This gives it a nice bottom to sit on.

As usual....I hope there are no errors but if there are, please forgive me!




Cheers!

5 comments:

jillytacy said...

Happy Toadstool Tuesday to you! The toadstools are fabulous! I love the orange polka dots and of course the red and white toadstool. I love Karin's blog too, it's so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Ha, those are great! It's definitely mushroom season out there (if there is such a thing) so I'm not sure that I really need any more... But these crocheted ones are so cute, I don't think it could hurt to add just a couple. ;)

orange flower: sketchbook said...

Great job on the mushrooms! Your one-piece mushroom is very cute! And what can I say about the fabric one? I love that orange fabric :)

G said...

Ah Val, my apologies....The toadstool with the polkadots is from Groovymoonchild, your pincushion swap partner! Glad you like it! :-)

UK lass in US said...

I've been loving the aprons that you've been making.

Then I came to this post and stopped and wondered 'now how come her mushroom looks much better than mine turned out?'. It looks like I need to practice my crocheting...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...