Monday, August 18, 2008

Fairy rings and Rain lilies


It has been a pretty hot, dry summer here in Louisiana. The past few days though, we had a good amount of rain.
Yesterday as we drove to church we saw several few Fairy Rings in the neighborhood. This got the kids all stirred up and excited. I took several pictures but most were from too far away.....the rings were big!


A fairy ring, also known as a fairy circle, elf circle or pixie ring, is a naturally occurring ring or arc of mushrooms. Fairy rings also occupy a prominent place in European folklore as the location of gateways into elfin kingdoms, or places where elves gather and dance. Superstition calls fairy circles sacred and warns against violating them lest the interloper (such as a farmer with a plough) anger the fairies and be cursed. Celtic folk beliefs generally paint fairy rings as dangerous places, best avoided.

The only danger I faced was being run over by cars while I was in the road taking these photos!

Our rain lilies also bloomed. They are so pretty and delicate looking.....it is always nice to see them bloom.

They seem to 'know' if I just watered them and only bloom after it rains. I just love them!

3 comments:

jillytacy said...

The fairy rings are very cool and your rain lilies are beautiful! It's nice to hear someone excited about rain. We've had so much that most people are complaining about the rain.

Zoƫ said...

I have never heard of fairy rings... how cool, thank you for the photos and the stories.

Melissa said...

That is so interesting about fairy rings. I had a semicircle one in my front yard this weekend. I have a feeling I angered the fairies because I mowed over it with the lawnmower. Oops, I guess I better watch my back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...