Friday, March 14, 2008

Hootie and the Blowfish....uhhh, peep....pattern!



A couple weeks ago, I made a crocheted owl bookthong for a swap I was in. It was pretty cute but a bit lopsided.
So, I decided to try and improve on the design.
I don't do 'filet' type crochet but wanted to do the thong without fastening off until the end.
After a few false starts, this is what I came up with.

He is a hit with both kids......now they are putting in their 'color' requests!



The second one started out being a blowfish (yeah, I know...) Anyhoo, it looked like a peep so I didn't put any 'spikes' on it. I'll try another blowfish, smaller fins and lots of spikes should do it.......

My daughter snatched it up as soon as she saw it........
____________________________________________________________________

I have had a few people email me wanting the Hootie pattern so here it is:

I used a G sized hook and a scrap of Redheart yarn

Start by making 6 sc into a magic loop, (sc 6)
Row 1: 2 sc in each sc around =12 sc

Row 2: 1 sc in next sc, then 2 sc in next sc around=18 sc

***Row 3 and 4 will make the 'ear points' and also widen the bottom to create a less rounded look***

Row 3: At the 18th sc, chain 1 and turn, sc back in the same sc (one point made)
and then sc down 14 more sc = total of 15 sc made

Row 4: at the 15th sc, chain 1 and turn, sc back in the same sc (other point made)
and then sc down 8 more sc.

To complete: At the 8th sc, begin doing a chain stitch away from the body to create the thong. Chain 40, leave a long tail and fasten off.

Attach a tassel (see tutorial).

Add eyes and a beak. Pull on the 'ear points' to make them stick up a bit. Done!

____________________________________________________________________

I made the 'peep' like my marble book thong (see my tutorial). then I simply added a couple fins, 2 google eyes and a top fin.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hee Hee! That totally looks like a blowfish. I love it!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...