Friday, October 24, 2008

Behold.....

The humble rice cooker........

I can't cook rice. My family didn't really EAT rice....we ate potatoes. I came from a long line of 'potato eaters.'
Wouldn't you know I would marry a rice eater. He came from a long line of 'rice eaters.'

My rice is horrible. Sticky and sometimes goopy....sometimes not cooked through....really nasty.


So about 10 years ago, while visiting my family for the holidays, I was griping about my lack of rice cooking skills.
My sister jumped up and went into the garage, when she came back in, she handed me this rice cooker, still in the box. She had gotten it for a gift.....but they never used it because they aren't rice eaters.

I was so excited. I didn't even know they made rice cookers.
Now I don't stress over cooking rice. This little baby makes perfect rice every time I use it...which is at least once a week.

So my question for you, dear readers? Rice or Potatoes? (and all you pasta lovers...don't worry...we eat pasta so much, it doesn't count!)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Both :)

queen of everything said...

i haven't met a starch i didn't like. we have a microwave rice cooker and one very similar to the one in the picture.

angeliclenore said...

RICE! Even though I come from a long line of tater eaters! I guess I am the black sheep of the family!! ;)

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

both. I have the exact same rice cooker. It was given to us as a wedding gift over 20 years ago and we still LOVE love love it.

frankenpug said...

Personally I am more of a potato girl. And if I am eating Asian cuisine I opt for the noodle.

My friend cooks a lot of rice and she hearts her rice cooker too:)

Rhonda said...

Now that's a hard question. It depends on the other meal items. For instance, if I'm eating chicken, then it's rice. But if I'm eating roast beef, then it's potatoes.

Zoƫ said...

Can I vote for pasta? We eat WAY to much pasta. Couple times a week at least.

Limecat said...

Both!

What could be nicer than yummy jackets with all that lovely butter oozing down the side?

But hang on - then there's aromatic rice, soaking up all those wonderful sauces.

This is making me long for a sandwich...

Solidia said...

I like both, but there is a special place in my heart for rice.:)

Sarah C said...

we are rice eaters! At least one a week it seems we make grilled chicken with teriyiki and white rice =)

Shawnee said...

ooooohhh, she gave you one of the GOOD rice cookers, too. I "owned" one, too, and bragged about how wonderful it was on my cooking class this summer. Then, I died in a dreadful stove burner accident. I want a new one but haven't worked up the guts to pay almost $100 for this brand (which IS the best)!

Anonymous said...

Definitely Rotato's (rice/potato combo). JK.. Potatoes for Hub and Rice for me. We have actually made both on several occasions and just have leftovers the next night. I could not live without my rice cooker. I too would be making mush.

RabbitStyleNews said...

Brown rice.

Anonymous said...

we eat both although rice more because we love Mexican food! ButI MAKE potatos more than rice (we eat rice when we go to a restaraunt) My kids eat it at home more than I do.
Maybe if I had a rice cooker I would make it more often.
Missy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...