Monday, December 21, 2009

Vintage Christmas Monday

Welcome to another Vintage Christmas installment!

Here is a lovely ornament my sister gave me.

I love grapes! Isn't it lovely...



Here are some teensy iron Amish folk.
They are about 46 or so years old.
My mom gave them to me while we were living in Pennsylvania. W
e've used them every Christmas since!


Although he is small, this nutcracker is one of my favorites!

I got him for Christmas when we lived in Germany.

We USED him and ALL our other, larger nutcrackers to crack nuts (imagine that!)
Over the years though, one by one of these sweet fellows broke from use. I stopped using this one YEARS ago and now we just put him out as a decoration.



My mom got these in Italy when we lived in Germany in the 60's.

I always loved them so she gave them to me for Christmas
last year.
They are quite heavy.




And this book.........by Joan Walsh Anglund!
Do any of you remember her!?

This was my sister's book...given to her in 1970.

She gave it to me last year while going through a box of books.
I was so happy to receive it!



look at these sweet illustrations...




such simple, beautiful work....


And here is one last reminder of my childhood in Germany!

My adored sled.

Believe it or not, this was my sled I got in 1967. (We actually USED this sled in Fort Worth when it snowed in 2005! We had to really wax it though!!)

and look! My old address!

I've used this as a decoration each year.

When we lived in an apartment, I would put a small real tree on it.
Then, for several years, I put it the front porch.
One day someone mentioned that they couldn't believe it hadn't been stolen.
So, now, we put it under the tree with a tub full of Christmas books we've collected over the years.
I remember going down MANY hills on this sled...


To see more vintage posts, click on the Red Door badge on my sidebar!

Merry Christmas!

13 comments:

CJ said...

Val,
Thanks for sharing your sweet Christmas memories and wonderful ornament collection!!
A very Merry Christmas to you and your family and a Happy, Healthy New Year!!
Hugz,
Cathy :)

anythinggoeshere said...

I love all of your vintage items this Monday because they each have a personal memory! Thank you so much for participating in Vintage Christmas Mondays this year!

A Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. xo Joan. your hostess

PS This is the first nutcracker I have seen during the party. Isn't that amazing?

gin said...

what a nice collection of Christmas memories you have. I like nutcrackers too. But, I've never had a real sled. Didn't ever need one I guess!

julie said...

Love your sleigh and the angels. Have a very Merry Christmas...julie

My Grama's Soul said...

What a sweet post. I love the illustrations in your children's Christmas book. I agree with you on the simplicity, it is perfect!

Merry Christmas,

Jo

laterg8r said...

what fantastic decorations - i super love your sled :D

Very Mary said...

I FOUND THE THING! I FOUND THE THING! I FOUN THE THING!

Jenny said...

The Christmas decorations with memories are the best!!

Abigail said...

I had that book at a kid too

Postcardy said...

I think all the "nutcrackers" I have seen are for decoration only. Your collection really has an international flavor.

momma rae said...

i love seeing your collections. that sled is wonderful!!

Shawnee said...

Such a cute post! We put out Mike's grandpa's sled for Christmas decoration, too. This year, it's standing up with a wreath and Santa hat hanging from it. A new sled is in the front entry with a tree sitting atop it. I love Christmas!

Sarah said...

Oh, I'm so happy I stopped by here today. I do remember the Joan Walsh Anglund books. I used to have many of them. No idea what has happened to them, but I remember that this Christmas book was among them. Such sweet illustrations and sentiments. Thank you for sharing your vintage items. It was a treat! ~ Sarah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...