Friday, June 13, 2008

The "Lotta" Trouble Apron.......

I was in a Summer apron swap that required I make a full size apron for my partner....something I'd not done before. I was also needing to do my Apronista apron challenge using 'applique.'
I thought it would be a good idea to combine the two.

Yeah, I was wrong.

I decided to make the reversible and appliqued apron out of Lotta's book.
I bought the book a few months back and had no trouble making a couple items.....some potholders and an apron.

I cut out the pattern and realized I totally did NOT get the 'side panel' part of the pattern. But I usually figure stuff out pretty well so I went ahead and cut out the fabric.
(The fabric is another story....I only had a yard of the strawberry....I got it through a swap. )

I start sewing....not a problem until I get to the side panel part again. I sort of work it out and put it all together. (But the side panels still looked weird.......and the book had ZERO pictures regarding the placement of them.)
I took it and serged the edges to clean everything up and OOPS.......I ran over part of the bodice.

Its obvious by now that my full apron idea ain't gonna happen....unless I want a big old patch over one boob. I already had made the ties AND the applique was finished, so I couldn't pitch it. But I didn't have more strawberry fabric so I couldn't start over.

Instead, I cut it down and made it into this half apron (still reversible...)








Turned out cute enough but still...NOT what I had intended.

OH and the full size apron I had to make? I made this one instead....
OH and the strawberry fabric? Yep...I found more of it the day AFTER I finished this one..........

8 comments:

Zoƫ said...

Not sure what it would have looked like full, but I LOVE IT 1/2 way cute! Good job not getting mad and giving up. (that was my old way;)

I am sure that a margarita will help, doesn't it always?

Adrienne said...

I've made a few things for her book and I too have had a bit of difficutly - in the end it all worked out but frustrating!

The apron is adroable

Jennifer said...

it turned out cute. Just curious- what are you doing with all these aprons?

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the way the apron turned out - it just wasn't destined to be full size! It is frustrating though when patterns don't fully explain the method.

Fiona @ Dragonfly-Crafts said...

I love all your aprons. They all look great even without the margarita.

jillytacy said...

It turned out to be very cute as a half apron. I believe that when you mistakes you just make it look like they should be there and no one will ever know. That's what you did. If you hadn't said it wasn't your first plan no one would have known.

Adrienne said...

I have't made her apron but here's the link to the flickr group - maybe someone could help you there ...

http://flickr.com/groups/lottajansdottersimplesewing/

dressmaker in training said...

The design you ended up with looks great. It was a lucky mistake:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...