Saturday, January 12, 2013

Easy Chicken Quesadillas

These are quick, easy and always a hit.   I make them more often than I should...but no one ever complains.   *This is also a great way to use up leftover chicken breasts as long as the original recipe was mild in flavor. 

We prefer them baked because they have crunchy little edges and the bottoms are not soggy so they hold up to toppings really well.



I cook the chicken in my wee little 1 quart crock-ette unless I'm cooking for a crowd.  
In that case, I pull out my regular one and double the ingredients.  

Ingredients (makes 4 large quesadillas)

1 can Roteil (original)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
*4 frozen chicken breasts. (I use the odd shaped and small ones in the crock-ette.) 
Burrito sized flour tortillas
Shredded cheese

extras:  avocado, corn, black beans, refried beans, peppers, mushrooms, salsa, sour cream...you get the idea. 

Put the breasts in the crock-pot,  mix the 2 cans together and pour on top.
Plug in and cook 8 hours.  (I use the low setting on my regular crock pot.  The crock-ette cooks in a mid range.)



***Pull the chicken out and shred with a fork.   It is super easy to remove the fatty bits as you shred it.



Place one tortilla on a parchment covered baking sheet and spread toppings evenly.  Don't overfill it.  Dean and I like more fillings but the kids tend to stick with chicken and cheese.

This is a half sized, where we just fold it over....perfect size for Kaela or myself.  (Matt and Dean get full sized ones, topped with another tortilla.)



Cover with parchment and put another pan on top so it will stay flat.  Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees.  By that time, the cheese is gooey enough to seal the edges so you can brown the top.


Remove top pan and parchment.  Bake an additional 3-5 minutes until it is golden brown.



Cut it up with your handy dandy pizza cutter and serve with yummy stuff like guacamole and salsa.

***Let the cooking liquid cool and then pour into a container and freeze ...waste not, want not...this stuff makes a great soup base.



2 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I don't eat chicken but have a black bean and spinach quesadillas that I make. And a Mediterranean one with veges and feta -- need to find that recipe. Have a good day. Tammy

gin said...

I love these too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...