Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mushroom bookmark



I was in a mushroom bookmark swap recently and came up with this to send. I didn't want to do traditional amigurumi because I wanted the bookmark to be flat. Turned out pretty cute.

Here is the pattern if you'd like to make one yourself:

You'll need:
bits of yarn in cap and stem colors
blunt needle to sew yarn
sewing needle for beads
pearl or seed beeds for cap
size G crochet hook

CAP:
With cap color, sc 6 into a magic ring.
Row 1: 2 sc in each sc around = 12 sc
Row 2: 1 sc in next sc, then 2 sc in next sc, around = 18 sc
Row 3: 1 sc in next 2 sc, then 2 sc in next sc, around = 24 sc
Row 4: 1 sc in next 3 sc, then 2 sc in next sc, around = 30 sc
leaving a LONG tail to sew to stem, fasten off.

Sew on pearl or seed beads now while cap is a circle.

STEM:
With stem color, chain 5, sc in 2nd chain from hook and across= 4 sc. Ch 1, turn.
Rows 1-12: work 4 sc in each row, ch 1 and turn between each row.
The stem will be a little over 2 inches in length before folding it in half.
Fasten off, leaving a sewing tail.

To assemble:
Fold stem in half and sew all around open edges to close it.
Lay top of stem onto edge of circle, letting them overlap a bit. You want to catch the stem while sewing it into the cap of the mushroom.
Fold circle in half and push stem into it a bit. You can sew the cap to the stem either at an angle or straight on.
Finish, bury ends.

For thong:
Push hook through base of stem, catch yarn from other side, pull through and beginning chain stitch, be sure to catch tail up and crochet over to secure it.
Chain 30-45 depending on size of book.

At the end, add either a bead or a tassel.

2 comments:

smulan said...

there was a mushroom book mark swap! wow! love these bookmarks - and the thought of mushrooms flying around the world makes me want to sing!

LittleMissBossy said...

Hi there!

When I look for free crocheting patterns I seem to end up on your blog quite frequently :-)
So I thought why not look at all her stuff - and I love your blog! I love all your aprons and cupcakes and so on!

I am a little toadstool obsessed so I think I'll make these soon!
And by the way thank you for sharing your patterns! :-)

Feel free to have a look on my blog!

Greetings from Europe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...