Monday, April 14, 2008

Daddy's repurposed shirt.....



Several weeks back, I got Lotta Jansdotter's book entitled "Simple Sewing." It is a lovely book, full of good ideas for a novice seamstress.
I found this pattern and really wanted to make it for myself. I looked everywhere for a similar fabric, including on line but I couldn't find it anywhere. The book gave resources but not by project.


As luck would have it, when we went to Florida for a long weekend over Spring break, my mom gave our son one of my dad's old shirts.

She thought it would fit our son but it was still way too big for him. The pattern of the fabric was pretty close, so I snatched it up and turned it into the apron I saw in the book.

Dad is shrinking! (its true what they say....)
He used to wear a large but this was a medium so there wasn't much fabric to work with once I took it apart.


Since there wasn't much fabric, I didn't bother with the pattern...except for the oven mitt pocket. Also, I added a waistband to try to give it some length without changing the entire look of the apron. I really wanted it to look very much like the one in the book...very bistro.

Since it is so short, the oven mitt pocket looks huge but I love the color combination so overall, I am very happy with it.

Best of all is that I get to think of my dad each time I wear it!

6 comments:

Tracey said...

I love the shorter length! It looks so good. I like my aprons shorter. Maybe because I can't wear mini skirts anymore, I still feel sexy in my short aprons - Ha Ha! You did a fantastic job and I think the best part is that you made it from your dad's shirt. You are so cute and creative - I love it!

Pikaboo said...

Aren't dad shirts the greatest!

dressmaker in training said...

What a fun apron. It's so cute and flirty:)

sauvageblue said...

I also picked up that look and I love all the ideas in it. I just need to pick a idea and get started, smile. You did a fabulous job....

Elisa said...

Yes, it's really cute! I like it short with the orange waistband. Great job! The mitten pocket is a great idea. :)

smulan said...

it's adorable! and i love the mitten pocket loads

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...