Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Valentine Wreath


I wanted to make a little Valentine Wreath one day last week but was house bound due to Dean's Explorer being at the shop. So, I pulled out a coat hanger and went to work. If you'd like to make one too, here is what I did:

Take a coat hanger and with wire clippers, clip right below where the hook is made on the hanger, then shape the hanger into a heart shape. Try not to make a 'fat' lobed heart...the thinner lobes look more defined once completed.

Use pliers and bend the ends back around each other and then secure with two strips of duct tape, one per side.

Using pinking shears (if you have them) cut about 200-250 strips of fabric and netting. I made mine 8 inches long by 1.5 inches wide.

Tie each strip on in a random pattern, spacing the netting out between the other strips. I did NOT tie a double knot...didn't need to. Then as you work around, just push the strips up tight.
When you get to the center of the heart, remember to make a hanging cord. I used the netting because it was the least conspicuous.
When done, work the strips a bit, some will need to be fluffed and others pushed to the back.
You can also work the wire shape a bit after completing...it bends easily. Just be sure not to pull it apart at the bottom.
You are done:

6 comments:

NadineC said...

Oh, that's soooo cute! And I love your choice of fabrics. I've seen some (especially Christmas ones) that have been made with such cheap fabric that they look tacky - yours is definitely in the CLASSY and CUTE category!

mysteryhistorymom said...

Val- Your wreath looks gorgeous! So nice and fluffy!:)

Oh, and it's not a secret swap, I will send your partner's info, so you can get to know each other.:)

Lori

annemarie said...

Ilove this wreath - you did such a good job.

ME... said...

Very creative for a day at home! I am impressed that you had all that fabric on hand!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness how cute is that??? I love it.. Val you are just so creative!!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Fabulous wreath!! Isn't it great when you have all the supplies on hand when inspiration strikes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...