Monday, November 7, 2011

on being thankful

At the beginning of October, a friend of mine lost her husband. He was a friend of ours too and we were stunned. He was so young and left behind a wife and 2 very young boys.....it was all just so sudden.

That Sunday, the sermon was "Being Thankful."


When our pastor started speaking, I had to leave.
I basically crashed into a woman as the two of us tried to walk into the bathroom at the same time.
...both while crying.
We exchanged stories and stood out in the hall for a few minutes just talking. When we were finished crying and wiping tears, we hugged and said goodbye.

When I went back in to listen to the sermon I was so glad I was composed.
Our pastor was talking about how hard the economy had hit people he knew and how the suicide rate was sky rocketing everywhere and was alarmingly high in our own parish.
Then he talked about a recent remembrance event held at our church for people who had lost children.
At the event, the guest speaker was a local pastor who had recently lost his 3 year old grandson. He spoke of how hard it is not to question God. He chose instead to be thankful for the 3 wonderful years he got to spend with his grandson.

Our pastor continued on, adding details and spinning his sermon while everyone sat listening.
I've never heard such a quiet sanctuary...in the end, his message was simple:

Whether you believe in God or not, life is fragile, we do not know what the future holds. We need to be more thankful, and not take so much for granted.


Back then I decided I would write a thankful post daily during November...but in the end, I just decided to be more thankful each day and to show it.

I hope you all have a wonderful November.....and remember to be thankful for even the little things!

7 comments:

jillytacy said...

What a nice post! Sometimes we forget to thankful for all of the little blessing we have! It's good to be reminded to be thankful.

annemarie said...

What a wonderful post - you are so correct - life is too fragile.

Kerry said...

That Val is a great message. I think sometimes we get so caught up in the business of stuff, that we don't take the time to stop and be thankful - even for the smallest of things ... the arms of a child that go around your neck and whisper the words "I love you mama" or that sweet little smile your hubby sends you across a crowded room that says "I'm glad you're mine". Sometimes it's hard to remember the good things when all around us is dispair and hardship .... thanks for reminding us to be Thankful!!!!

Birgit said...

I am thankful that I found your blog, as you are a lovely woman, Val, and I always enjoy seeing your projects and hearing about your life. Thanks for your friendship.

Hugs,
Birgit

Denise said...

Thank you for a wonderful post. We are all so busy, especially this time of the year, that we sometimes lose sight of the important things in our life - our family, friends, and of course God. Thank you for the reminder!

Unknown said...

I have lived that sermon...not only just suicide but losing a grandchild...Even when I am at my worst emotionally, what usually pulls me out is finding something no matter how small to be grateful for...I love this post and I am grateful for it....xoxoxo

kat said...

I so know what you mean. My sister-in-law just lost her father & we are just so thankful she happened to be in the area & was able to be with him in the end.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...