Wednesday, June 15, 2011

crafting and PIE

Today is ironcraft challenge day but since it is a Father's Day thing, I can't show it until next week.
Dean doesn't read my blog often...but he does check in once in a while and I don't want to spoil the surprise. After all, I already gave him the car litter bags!


So, remember these bracelets I made for craft hope last week?


Well, craft hope had 2 projects going on at the same time and I ended up doing both. During the school year, I wouldn't have been able to....but I had the time and had the materials on hand....

I made two of these blankets....and sent them on their way. They are for tornado survivors here in the USA.


These projects are now closed but if you want to craft for a good cause, please visit craft hope from time to time.
I don't join every single project because I do things for the animal shelter and do the toy drops...but I try to do what I can.

Since I had the crafting mojo going, I made a few car litter bags for my own car using some cute traveling gnome fabric Niki sent me last year.



and then I made my niece one for her car. She works at the Henry Doorly Zoo...I made her an apron using this same fabric a few years ago...wish I had more of it!




Now on to PIE!

Dean requested yet ANOTHER pie for June's Dessert of the Month club.

This time he wanted Coconut Cream Pie.

I didn't have a recipe so I googled it and found several. I used the one here with a couple changes.


Let me tell you, EVERYONE loved it (well, except yours truly who doesn't like coconut unless its toasted and smothered in chocolate but that's another post...)


So here is the recipe. ***I did alter it though.....instead of 3 cups of half/half. I used 1 can of coconut milk and made up the rest of the 3 cups with half/half.***

    Ingredients

  • 3 cups half-and-half***
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
  • 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan, combine half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in 3/4 cup of the coconut and the vanilla extract. Pour into pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours, or until firm.
  2. Top with whipped topping, and with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.
  3. Note: To toast coconut, spread it in an ungreased pan and bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.

5 comments:

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Great bowl of bracelets. I love Craft Hope. Like you I join in when I can.

You've been very busy making car litter bags. They all look great.

Coconut pie...that's something you either love or don't like. I have to admit I don't think I have ever had coconut pie before. I do like toasted coconut smothered in chocolate though.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

If coconut pie was on a dessert buffet amongst others, it would probably be the last one I would choose. My ex-husband's grandmother used to make me egg custard pies all the time. They were so good -- especially warm from the oven. Yum! Lovely work you are doing for a good cause. It's so nice to have extra time for all that we want to do. Have a great day. Tammy

jillytacy said...

I love the litter bags. I definitely need to try making these.

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Val
The bear fabric is so cute and the traveling gnome litter bag is adorable. I always enjoy seeing your crafting projects. I will check out the craft hope website.
Lindsay
x

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Your craft mojo is on! Everything looks great. If only I could get some craftiness going myself.

The coconut cream pie looks delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...