Sunday, July 25, 2010

Family Fun Day!

Dean wanted us all to see his office after it was painted so we took the kids to NOLA. We decided to make a day of it and spent the day downtown having fun...eating....and eating...and going to the Insectarium!



We went there thinking it would be a quick in and out....we planned on hitting the aquarium too. NO CHANCE OF THAT! It took us a little over 2 hours to get through it all.

I was truly impressed with how well the exhibits were done and ended up taking 177 photos. It was hard trying to pare them down to share just a few on this post.

Throughout, they incorporated buggy stuff into the decor:

They had venus flytrap chandeliers


Pitcher plant wall sconces


Chrysalis light fixtures....

and dragonfly fans!
they included a little humor at the Dung beetle exhibit by placing it between the bathrooms! I don't know how many people saw the irony in that but I sure did! HA!

There were several interactive exhibits and a bug bakery cafe where they gave out samples..and sold food with bugs in it. Lucky for us, we ate at Superior Grill right before getting there so no one was hungry.

They had volunteers everywhere showing people bugs...here is a male Madagascar hissing roach....his back felt like plastic.....he had cute little horns. Too bad he'd be dead in my house!



In the butterfly and beetle exhibit, they used specimens to create works of art...

I was so saddened to read how many of these lovely creatures are close to extinction now due to deforestation.


Several specimens were a big as a dinner plate.

all were breathtakingly beautiful



Dean kept making Beatle jokes throughout the day....and continued on his facebook page....



The butterfly garden was the last exhibit and had all types of butterflies flying all over. I only got a few good photos in here because they were all fluttering around!






Here is my favorite...I can't believe I took it with my little camera.



These are truly more beautiful than gemstones to me. Of course, now Dean thinks he can stick a dead butterfly on the wall for our next anniversary!

12 comments:

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

I really like the buggy decor! I may have been the first to run shreiking from the building at the interactive exhibits! Too bad you missed the bug eating bakery. I've always wanted to try chocolate covered bugs! Ok, not really, but I sometimes tell the kids that's what we're having for dinner.

Shawnee said...

Very cool ... I don't if I would have even went IN but I'm glad you shared your pictures!!

mysteryhistorymom said...

Wow! That is impressive, Val! I wish they had something that cool around here... They truly outdid themselves! Lori

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Val.
When I first read the word Insectarium I thought eeeeeeeewwww! But having seen your great pictures I have totally changed my mind. It looked such fun and so very interesting. The flytrap chandelier is wonderful and all those beautiful butterflies are amazing. Thanks for sharing yoru pictures. I enjoyed them very much.
Lindsay
x

manda said...

Oh wow!!! I LOVE those chandeliers and wall sconces!! That dragonfly fan is so cool! The butterflies are amazing! We have those Cairns Birdwing (the big green and yellow) Butterflies here! And those big Ulyssies...not sure if that's how it's spelt though. If you'd like, I'll send you some pics of butterflies and bugs I've found and taken pics of!
So you took 177 pics...send me some more!!!

Rhonda said...

Wow, what a great exhibit. I can believe that you too all those pictures. I would have as well. All the beautiful colors of those beetles and butterflies is amazing. God is truly awesome!
Take care.

annemarie said...

Wow what an interesting place to visit. You look to beautiful in the picture - radiant!

stephanie said...

Who knew bugs could be so fantastically lovely and inspiring? Because I identify with your sentiment about the lovely but unlikely to live in my house hissing cockroach...Even a gorgeous butterfly wouldn't last long indoors if it were the size of a dinnerplate.

Beautiful photos!

jillytacy said...

Wow that's very impressive. I love the light fixtures! I love butterflies and dragonflies so I would love to see this place. Very cool!

Unknown said...

Looks like it was a fun time learning about bugs. Most of us just squish them. Now I have a whole new feeling about them.. thanks for sharing your fun day with us :)
M

Unknown said...

Agggg for some reason google dumped my post!!! Ok so I will start over. Who would have ever thought a day with bugs would be so fun and interesting. I am one of those that squish them and don't think twice about it... now you have given some food for thought and might think twice before squishing one.... No maybe not.. don't like bugs. But butterfies on the other hand are awesome... and your photos were fantastic. Thanks for sharing with us ;)

Unknown said...

I love the bug lights and the butterfly....the roach? well I am not going there.....at all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...