Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Birds and Blooms


We have had such wonderful weather, our yard has just taken off.

Look at some of the pretty blooms...







Our basil was full so I hacked it all down and made 2 pounds of my basil butter to put into the freezer...click here to get the recipe, etc.

Look at the empty pots...nothing left but these little sticks.....they'll be full again soon though. I love how basil flourishes the more you cut it.


The birds are back and have taken an interest in the tomatoes.
I'm glad I planted several...
along with more basil and some bell peppers.



I watched two lovely birds investigate the birdhouse.
They took turns checking it out throughout the day Monday and began furnishing it Tuesday.
This is the male, he has a lovely crest on his head.




Here is the female checking out the box:


I'd never seen one before but looked them up and found out they are Great Crested Flycatchers:

http://www.hiltonpond.org/images/FlycatcherGreatCrested02.jpg
Aren't they pretty!

We are also thrilled because the hummingbirds and red headed woodpeckers are back this year.
As a special treat we've also got bluebirds and Texas house finches here right now.



11 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

So beautiful! What is basil butter and will you share your recipe???

mysteryhistorymom said...

You have the prettiest flowers and birds, Val! LOVE the gardenias!! HEavenly! Lori

Yes, I think we had a mini tornado that destroyed our play set. It also tried to lift our roof off of the garage! See what happens when we leave home.:( Lori

Doris Sturm said...

Oh, yes, what lovely birds. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know what they were either, but I'm trying to learn since we have so many birds here too.

I love your flowers. I miss seeing gladiolas - when I was growing up in Germany we had them in just about every color there is. They are such majestic flowers. In Germany, they are called Schwerdlilien - that's Swordlilies and Gladiolas for Gladiator is very similar!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Beautiful flowers! Cute little birdies. Never seen them before either.

We lost many tomatoes to the birds before. They seem to know when they are almost ripe even before we do. Then the tomatoes are gone.

Becky said...

Gorgeous Flowers and garden!!!

We have lost plants to the deer in the past so i have strung some of those free and a couple of old CDs on clear thread between the tomato cages. Hopefully this will deter pesky critters.

manda said...

Dont you just love gardenias? The basil butter looks great! I love your rosemary, looks very well taken care of! Basil and tomatoes are supposed to be garden buddies right...I can't remember why though.
What precious birdies! I'm looking forwarc to having all the wading birds (ducks, ibis, spoonbills, magpie geese etc) come back here for winter....oh yeah, we dont really have a winter...

The kat"s tale said...

That bird looks like she posed for the camera - lol

Tonya Gunn said...

Thank you for sharing all the beauty. Isn't this just an amazing time of the year? So much to notice.
Warm wishes, Tonya

Very Mary said...

This whole stinkin' post just makes me smile! I read it twice:)

jillytacy said...

Wow beautiful blooms! I've never seen that bird before but it's very cute. I hope you survive the end of the year school rush and that y9ou're on vacation very soon. 9 more school days and counting here!

Unknown said...

I planted basil and then cut it back because it was kind of straggly....it hasnt really taken off yet but the heat is coming and then I think it will...I hope....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...