Last year, we did another little DIY project.
This time we put a teeny pergola over a weird space between the house and the driveway.
The space was uneven and had nothing in it...just dirt and weeds.
It wasn't wide enough to really 'do' anything with but it was wide enough to look awful.
The two windows were also getting bombarded by the basketball whenever it rebounded!
Here is what it looked like:
Here it is the first day we made it and planted it out.
We originally planned on placing the support beams on the outside of the windows but the trellis would have cut out all the light in that particular room.
There is a little edging to hold the mulch in until the ardesia takes root....and takes over.
And here it is just a year later
and in bloom...
Notice, that the little edging is gone.....not needed at all because the ardesia has filled in the area.
The rose canes are slowly crawling across the top. As we'd hoped, the wooden support beams deflect the basketballs so they don't hit the windows much anymore...just once in a while.
The rose is a climbing fairy. It is one of my favorite roses.
We also intermixed some Morning Glories and scarlet runner.
They all look very pretty mingling together.
FYI ardesia is a tough ground cover. It grows fast, takes a beating from the kids and is heat tolerant.