Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday, curry chicken salad

MMMmmmmmmm........curried chicken salad!


Last week I blogged about my chicken dumpling stew recipe. This is what I do with the rest of the chicken!
I use a really large chicken and then take half the meat for the stew and reserve half for this next recipe.

The trick to this recipe is to keep the flavors light when cooking the chicken.
If you choose to use a pre-cooked chicken from the store, make sure to get the traditional seasoning. Anything else competes with the curry and it won't taste right.

Val's curried chicken salad:

4 chicken breasts, poached or baked until tender and cubed.
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2-3 tsp ground curry powder (start with 1 tsp)
1 stalk celery, diced (I omit this b/c Dean is allergic but prefer it in)
1 small package broken walnut pieces (do NOT use BLACK walnuts)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I actually start with less b/c I hate mayo...you may like more)
1 double handful of red or black seedless grapes, halved. Add these last.(we use more.)

Cook and cool the chicken, then cube or shred it.  (Or buy a precooked one.)
Add the seasonings and all other ingredients except the grapes.
Mix well and taste to adjust for seasonings.
Fold in grapes.

This can be served in pita bread but we love it on croissants.

I made this for a party by using 2 whole chickens and served it with crackers.
It was GONE in a flash.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

that looks amazingly delicious! i may have to add that to my menu next week, too! hubby goes back to work next week so it's back to real cooking.

curegirl0421 said...

YUM! I'll have to give that a try soon!

gin said...

My sister has a similar chicken salad recipe with chunks of chicken, grapes, and other stuff. Hers is a WW recipe and she makes it all the time for our family girl luncheons. We all love it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...