Friday, August 14, 2009

A Helping Hand....

You know how children don't have those social sensors that tell them when NOT to say something?

Well, I've got a story for you. A long one.

Wednesday coming home from work, I remembered Ripstick Boy had said he wanted to cook dinner. (yes, he is STILL on the cooking kick, YIPEE!)

Anyhoo, I then realize I have nothing 'simple' for him to cook and I'm not ABOUT to do anything big because I was T. I .R .E. D.
I was thinking cereal was looking pretty good for dinner...but decided he wouldn't like that suggestion.

So, I call RB and ask him what he wants to cook and he replies 'Hamburger Helper." A friend of his raves about it so he is dying to make some. This was fine with me because how SIMPLE is THAT?!

Now, here is where it gets interesting. We don't make Hamburger Helper....because we always do stuff from scratch. (I know, go ahead and hate me, my mom never used it so the only time I did was during college.)

When I tell Curly Girl we have to pick out a box of Hamburger Helper for dinner, she wrinkles up her nose...and I know what is getting ready to happen. But its too late to stop her.
We are standing there in the isle with people all around us. Women who are picking out their 'favorite' for the evening too. There are LOTS and LOTS of boxes of Hamburger Helper in the carts ALL AROUND US.

Curly Girl then says...quite LOUDLY:
"But MOOOMMMMM, Hamburger Helper is NASTEEE!" followed by
"We NEVER eat Hamburger Helper!"

And then without taking a breathe she continues on her "hatred of Hamburger Helper tirade" with:

"Who in the WORLD would ever EAT THIS STUFF?" "I'm sure not going too!" "YUCK"

She said all this AT THE TOP OF HER VERY SWEET LUNGS...

About this time, all the Stepford Wife HEADS swivel our way. Okay, maybe that was just my imagination because it was running rampant.
After all, I didn't want to OFFEND any Hamburger Helper connoisseurs that might have been lurking in the isle.
I just smile and say something like 'VAMOOSE" to get us out of there before the 40 women buying HAMBURGER HELPER lynched us.

The story doesn't end there.

We go home, Ripstick Boy MAKES the Hamburger Helper.
We EAT the Hambirger Helper.
My husband says "MAN, I LOVE HAMBURGER HELPER!" "I haven't had it since college!" and I agree that its pretty darn good for a BOX.
Ripstick Boy is all puffed up with pride and glowing and says "its AWESOME and I COOKED it myself!" (I think he actually threw his shoulders back while saying that)

and then...

very quietly...

So quietly I had to ask her to repeat herself...

Curly Girl says...

"may I have some more?"

tee hee hee.......

9 comments:

NadineC said...

Very funny story, Val! I rarely make stuff from boxes - pretty much cook from scratch due to so much sodium in that crap. But HH is the one exception - we eat it about once every 1 1/2 to 2 months - Cheeseburger Macaroni - yummmmm! Always have to have cottage cheese with it, too - not sure why - they just seem to go together (at our house anyways!). Tell CG HH is "ok" once in awhile, especially since she asked for seconds!

LittleRed said...

As long as I can remember, I've hated HH. Stemming from a week my mom spent in the hospital when I was 5. My dad made us HH every day she was in the hospital. It was not until I got married and my husband asked me to make it for him(beef stroganoff) that I tasted it again. It was OK after that many years. Now we always have a box in the cupboard for emergency meals or when my husband has to cook.

Michelle said...

that's hilarious! we also only make it from scratch. I actually made it from a box once and my son who was 6 at the time said "what is this stuff? it looks like barf!" how sad is that? My kids didn't even know what hamburger helper was LOL

Becky said...

too funny! I love the honesty!

gin said...

So funny. You can always count on kids to not hold anything back.

Zoƫ said...

I love it!!! We also never eat that kinda stuff, but it always tastes good (lots of salt is what does it;)

Rhonda said...

I can't breathe I'm laughing so hard. Great story.

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

ahahahahahaha

This SO sounds like a tale from this hood! hahaha

Tammy "SweetT" said...

LOL - I had never had HH until I first got married some 18 years ago and my Dear Husband requested it. Anyway, as I learned to cook, we stopped eating it and I don't think that my daughter had ever had it until about 2 weeks ago when we happened upon a huge display at Wallyworld. DH got all excited and DD wanted to know what the fuss was about - so they both got to pick out 2. We've only had one so far and I must admit - it's really not that bad (as long as I can get over the guilt of feeding it my my family).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...