Friday, March 23, 2012

Matt's room re-do

Matt has been wanting a change in his bedroom so we did that as part of his birthday this year.

Dean and I looked EVERYWHERE and finally decided on a comforter set we knew he would like. The problem was, they didn't have any of the accessory pieces for the room.



Without going into all the details of a long suffering search and looking at appalling prices for pre made curtains, I decided to just do it myself.

I went back to the store and bought a second comforter set in the next size down. Then I ripped all the seams on everything and pulled out the stuffing (they don't use the good stuff in these comforter sets y'all...)

The comforter became reversible curtains...





The bed skirt and stuffing became pillows. And the shams became a curtain for his window seat.


I found coordinating fabrics and finished his seat cushion and recovered his old bean bag to tie everything in together.


Dean helped me paint an accent wall to match the repainted shelves....





And we used garage hooks for the curtain tie backs



I lined the curtains with black fabric instead of muslin and now when they are closed, his room is as dark as a cave...and he loves it.


I REALLY wanted to do one wall with a piece of corrugated metal but that idea got nixed by Dean and Kaela.
All Matt needs to do now is to clean up his room.....good luck with that!

5 comments:

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Matt's room looks great! Now it looks like a teen boy's room. I like that you used a comforter set to make the curtains and accessories. I've priced curtains recently and they are too expensive for a couple pieces of fabric.

Kerry said...

Val, you did an awesome job - his room looks fantastic. He must be as pleased as punch with how it turned out:-)

NadineC said...

I think corrugated metal, or that mechanic's metal sheeting (I don't know what you call it, but it's cool!), would be awesome! I love what you did with the pre-made stuff, taking it apart for curtains, etc. :-)

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

wow girl! Awesome job!!!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Now that's being resourceful. Someone who is a wiz at sewing can do that. Looks great! I had fabric that I wanted made into curtains for my boys' room and had hubby take it to the tailor-- let's just say they didn't turn out as I had hoped, or even long enough. :/ Have a great day. Tammy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...