Friday, August 6, 2010

again with the plants....


I'd never heard of rain lilies before stumbling across them online a few years ago. I did a bit of research and bought some off ebay, crossing my fingers they would do well here. The first year, they just barely hung on and I really didn't think they'd come back.

But...each year they come back a little stronger. They only bloom after a hard rain. Even sprinklers can't fool them...must be something with the pressure dropping ...?

The pink is the weakest of all and has fewer blooms than the others but still blooms with regularity...


I love these white ones...



But my heart just sings when these yellow ones bloom!

and bun-bun loves them too!



at look at the moon flowers...they are so lovely! I started these from seed... I hope they over winter well like the morning glories...


Look at this teeny tiny lizard! You can't tell because the leaf he is on is about 7" across but he is really tiny...so stinkin' cute!


I found this birdhouse at Tuesday Morning and weatherproofed it. I put it with the morning glory and after just one day, the vines have already started climbing all over it...I can't wait til it is just peeking out.



so...how does YOUR garden grow?

8 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

I have never heard of rain lilies...very cool!

gin said...

love seeing your flower garden! I've never had rain lillys. But I have had water lillys in my patio fish pond and I was amazed they grew and how pretty they were.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I have had some pretty gardens but for some reason this house just doesn't like gardens of any kind.

I have never heard of rain lilies either. They are pretty though. Weird that it takes a good strong rain for them to blossom but that's why they have the name rain lily I guess.

Love the birdhouse. It will look great once it is hidden in all the vines.

Rhonda said...

Sadly, my garden flowers are not doing well in the Texas heat, although it had rained this summer more than usual. My grandma's day lillies manage to bloom each year but that's about it.
Your flowering plants are so pretty!!!!

Courtney Short said...

I have one of his country cousins living in my garden in the front of the house :-) He's about that big.. I saw him when he was even a bit smaller.. they are cute!! I have been toying with the idea of naming mine ;-) BTW - my garden is doing quite well!! I never had one before joining YOE which inspired me to do so.. I can see how my plants are getting bigger and stronger.. it's really an amazing feeling to know i am assisting in that process :-)

The kat"s tale said...

This year my garden is my front lawn. We re sodded this year.

jillytacy said...

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of rain lilies but they are beautiful! I love the white flower with the yellow center, it's so pretty! As for how does my garden grow, not very well. . .I didn't get the green thumb the rest of my family seems to have!

Unknown said...

I love the pink and white ones....I will tell you, if rain brings them on, they wouldnt do well here at all.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...