Saturday, December 19, 2015

How to: paper mache snowman heads!

A couple years ago I made some snowman heads for my tree:


I wanted to do something similar for this year's ornament swap....without the hat and frill. 

Since I had to make so many this time around, I thought I'd share the main process here.   This made 14 "heads."

Here are the supplies I used:

glitter
DAS premade paper mache "dough"
ping pong balls
drill with teeny bit
teen eye screws
paints
modge podge
paint brush and sponge brush
little bowl of water

this is what DAS looks like.  Use a coupon, it can be pricey.



Take your DAS and pinch off 14 equal sized blobs.  Roll each blob into a ball and set aside, keeping covered so they don't dry out.

Here is the ping pong ball brand I use, cheapos from Walmart.




 To get started, fllatten a ball of DAS and wrap it around the ping pong ball.  Using a teeny bit of water, smooth out lumps and edges.  Set aside and do the others.  



Once the heads are done, start the noses.  Make teeny cone shapes and carefully attach to the face.  Smooth out edged where the nose meets the face.  Now set aside to dry overnight or even for a couple of days.





Once dried, take the smallest drill bit and make a teeny hole where you want the hook to hang.  Use a bit smaller than the eye screw so it won't fall out.



Then paint your carrot nose and face and let dry.  Sorry, I forgot to take a photo! (Now Kaela said I should have made them into Gru faces or even Penguin heads...at this point, it is up to you.  I opted to stay with snowman heads.)


Once the face is painted and dried, "paint" your snowman heads with Modge Podge and sprinkle with glitter.  I actually used a bowl and dunked mine.    Let them hang and dry for a few days.  Then go BACK and check for coverage.  I hung mine in the washroom!



If you are weird, like me, and want the hook to be glittery, turn them over and glitter the eye screw the same way.





After that, you simply attach the hooks and you have a bowl of happy snowman heads.



Of course, I put one on my own tree!





4 comments:

A Little Creation said...

Love mine, it's hanging on my tree too. I like the idea of a tiny party hat.
Chris =]

Clare said...

These are wonderful. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing!

jillytacy said...

These are so cute! I love mine.

jillytacy said...

These are so cute! I love mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...