Monday, February 16, 2015

Recipe Box: "Grilled" Tostadas

Having a new puppy in the house means I am not doing some of the things I normally do.  Like go through mom's recipe box for today's post!

So instead, I thought I'd share a recipe that had the ingredients I bought for one of mom's recipes. Dean saw them sitting on the counter and snagged them for a grilled version of a tostada while we all watched t.v.




Dean's Grilled Tostadas: 

1 pack corn tortillas
2-4 chicken breasts 
Shredded monty jack or cheddar cheese
1-2  cans Blue Runner or other type of re-fried beans
Seasonings like salt, Tony Chachere's or cayenne for kick, garlic powder, etc.
Toppings: Chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

Cooking:

Heat the beans (I add a little salsa and sour cream to make them tastier and creamier.)  Set aside and keep warm.

Grill the chicken breasts and shred or chop the meat.  Set aside

Brush several of the tortillas with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and garlic powder.   We like them spicy so we add a little Tony's on them too.  Cayenne would work nicely if you don't have any Tony's.
Grill them quickly on both sides until they are crispy.  Don't LEAVE because they burn easily.  I suggest you have a couple extra on hand in case that happens.  Grill extra, they are great by themselves or with salsa.  

**Now just assemble the tostada to your liking.   Start by using either the beans or guacamole to hold the chicken and other toppings down.   I like to layer mine because I like toppings that fall off.   
Here is how I do it:
beans
lettuce
chicken
cheese
tomatoes
guacamole


** Since the tortillas are NOT fried, they won't stand up to wet ingredients for long so you have to assemble them right as you are getting ready to eat.   

These taste so fresh and are not heavy at all.    

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Yummy !!!
I'm rather hungry all of a sudden :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...