Thursday, March 11, 2010

Trauma drama

Today was NOT a good day. Unless you stop to think how it could have been an even WORSE day.
At 6:25 am, while I was signing papers for our son for school, Curly Girl fell down our stairs...all 16 of them...face forward...and landed on the tile floor below.

She was sick with a fever (and her FIRST visit from Mother Nature)....and just toppled over....she doesn't remember a thing.
She doesn't even remember going TO the stairs...

Ripstick Boy called 911 while I laid on the floor next to her and tried to wake her up...she was unconscious which REALLY scared me.

I didn't want to roll her over in case she was badly hurt but I was afraid not to in case she couldn't breathe. The blood scared me the most.
I am so proud of how quickly her brother took action.

The Fire dept guys got here first but then the ambulance came and whisked her away. It happened so quickly, it made my head spin.

Meanwhile, I was in a total fog......
The captain of the Fire department had to tell me to go get dressed, get my wallet and purse, etc. so I could go with her.
I wasn't sure if I'd be able to reach Dean so Rip Stick Boy
rode in the ambulance with her while I followed in my own car. I had my camera since we were doing a toy drop today (that post will come later...)

Here she is on the gurney....


We were lucky in that the ER was empty when we got there. They took care of her right away. After checking her out, they did a CAT scan. Later on, they gave her fluids and antibiotics for her virus.

Her sweet face is beaten up and swollen but she is okay.
She broke her nose...just a teeny fracture thank goodness and bit her lip.
You can't see from the photo but she looks like she's been in a fight with a raccoon.
She is going to be one sore little girl this weekend.


During all the activity I saw this....pretty neat how they do this.
They wrote all her vitals and info down on the bed sheet.....including her codeine allergy.



I know we ALL are guilty of complaining about being in the ER forever, but I can tell you this is one of those times that you don't mind being in ER for 6 hours.

Here she is walking with Dean back to the car.

Thank you God for sending us angels.......

25 comments:

smalltownme said...

That is so scary for all of you! I hope she is doing OK now.

Shawnee said...

Oh my goodness, how SCARY! Poor girl! I'm so glad your son had his wits about him and that help came so quickly. Praying for quick and complete healing!!!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

So sorry to hear about your daughter. Thankfully she is just bruised up and it wasn't worse. Your son certainly was level headed and so sweet to take charge. I know it must have been a scary time but all is well now. Wishing her a speedy recovery. Loved your post about the Ford. When I first came to Kuwait, my FIL had a Suburban that was formerly used to haul sheep across the border. Yuck! Even with detailing, it stank big time. I called it the Sheep Mobile; then when it started to really fall aprt, I called it the Shit Mobile; and then when the small triangular window was broken out and cats would climb inside to stink it home, I called it the Cat Hotel. Ha! Thankfully it finally died and we were able to move on to something better and nicer. Wishing you all the best. Thanks for visiting my corner of the world. Tammy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
manda said...

Oh my goodness Val!!! I am so thankful that she is ok! You poor things, all four of you! What a busy stressful day you must have all had!
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Curly Girl, I hope she is better soon. Tell her she mustn't hurt the stairs and floor like that, as they are quite delicate...

gin said...

oh my, what a scary morning! I hope CG recoups fast and thankful all is ok. Take care of CG.

NadineC said...

Oh, thank goodness Ripstick Boy was there to help! I'm sure you must have been totally whigged out - I remember a few times like that when the boys were little...it's very scary! I'm so glad she's ok! Love mandapanda's comment about telling her not to hurt the stairs and floor, LOL! Well, at least were any of the firefighters cute????
Hugs,
Nadine

Solidia said...

Oh Val, how frightening! I can't imagine. Give Ripstick boy a BIG hug for me for being such a quick thinker, then give Miss Curlygirl a gentle hug for me. I know she has to be sore. We'll be praying for a speedy recovery.

(((HUGS))) for you to Val. :)

Betty aka Fudgie said...

Dear "far-away-friend" can you feel me? Close your eyes and snuggle into my shoulder. Can you smell me? Now take a big breath and think of my cuddly breast giving you and "Curly" a "mama" hug! Hugs and prayers to you and family! We'll lift a maggie later...XOXOXOXO

Kathy - mom of many said...

Oh Val!! I'm so sorry this happened. I'm glad she is okay with only bruises...you are right, it could have been worse. I often pray for those angels to surround my children and protect them.

CJ said...

Oh, how scary!! My mother's heart was aching just reading this. Thank the Good Lord for all His blessings!!! You should be so proud of your son - that was amazing!:) Showing he's had some good teaching. Praying & wishes for a speedy recovery for your sweet little angel:)

Jenny said...

OMG!!! I KNOW what you must have gone through. I am so glad she is okay now. Let us know if you need anything!

Ruhammie said...

Oh My Goodness!! I'm glad you showed the pic of her walking out. I hope she's handling the "woman" stuff okay...I know I was a wreck! It was not an easy thing to experience. My husband grew up knowing all the ER Dr's and nurses, he was a bit of a daredevil...I worry that I will have two boys who follow in his footsteps. I can't imagine what you went through as a mother (yet), I'm glad she's okay.

momma rae said...

oh mama! i can't imagine the awful feeling in your heart at that moment....and seeing your baby in that brace and all beat up. i am so grateful that she is all right and is back home with you now. much love to you all.

Little Messy Missy said...

How scary. So glad it ended well.

UK lass in US said...

Goodness, I'm glad that she's doing ok. Poor lass.

Did she faint at the top of the stairs or knock herself out at the bottom?

Becky said...

Lord have mercy! My daughter used to get like that when Mama Nature visited. Twas hell for all of us.

So glad your girly is gonna be fine and what a great brother she has! You do know she is gonna swat you for posting the pics, right? heehee

Unknown said...

Oh my Val thank goodness she is ok..Poor Curly girl.. give her hugs for me!! That Rip Stick boy is sure one cool dude being able to take charge and be with her. I am sure all of you were scared out of your wits... I will send sweet thoughts and prayers Curly girls way for a fast recovery :)
M

dkuroiwa said...

What a scary start to your day!! I'm sooo glad that CG got out of that fairly okay....damn, but (and I'm sure I don't need to tell you this) that could have been so much worse.
A quick "thank you Lord" for that...and for quick thinking, really nice brothers and yes, for those "angels" who take care of our children...those we can see and those we cannot!

annemarie said...

Wow this would have scared me to death - a big hug to curly girl.

Very Mary said...

The best part of all this? She is going to have one KICK ASS story to share. And when one is a kid? One loves oneself a kick-ass-I-survived-a-near-death-experience story!

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

my goodness! ((((((hugs))))) I am in tears just reading this. A mothers worst fear. Your son did a wonderful job responding so quickly.

Zoë said...

Oh how I am glad that she is ok and that your son was there. How scary that must of been. I hope she is feeling better soon.

nattyj said...

Val! What a day! Hope things have calmed down now, what a scary morning. Take care and hugs to you all from Australia! :)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Wow! That sounds and looks so scary! I'm glad everything turned out OK.

Our ER docs and nurses write on the sheets all the time too. Sometimes you see strange pictures that I can't tell what they were drawing for the patient/family.

Kids sure know how to give us a heart attack lol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...