Saturday, July 19, 2014

Mini Apple Pies

Each year for July 4th, I make my  cheesecake tarts.  My family loves them so much....some times, like this year, they didn't wait for the topping.  Just scarfed them down and ate the berries later.  

But...I don't like cheesecake.   I think cheese needs to be salty....not sweet!  So, this year after making the family their tarts, I made myself some little apple pies.  This way, I can eat a few and freeze the rest.  I didn't want a pie in a muffin tin, too little....but I had a mini loaf pan so used it.  It made the perfect single serving pie ever!



Okay, so if you are interested, here is how I made them:

Ingredients to make 9 mini loaf sized pies:

4 premade pie crusts from the refrigerator section, the kind you unroll.  
5-6 Granny Smith apples
1-ish cup of sugar...you may need a little more.
1-3 teaspoons of cinnamon (I use 3 but most folks like 1)
Scant teaspoon nutmeg if you like it.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons water
1 heaping tablespoon corn starch

*Egg wash is optional....mix 1 egg with a splash of milk, whisk to combine.

Peel and cube your apples into a bowl, sprinkling with cinnamon and sugar as you go to keep the apples from turning.  No need for lemon juice as granny smiths are tart!



Next put the water and butter in a pan and melt the butter, then add the apple mixture and cook for about 8 minutes.  Just to soften them a bit.  Add the cornstarch and stir well.



Get your pan and pie crusts out....I didn't grease the pans and the pies popped out just fine.



Cut the pie crust large enough to overlap....you want to seal these pies.  I left about an inch to hang out.  


Fill each little pie up, mounding it slightly.  Make sure some juice gets into each pie.  I eyeballed it and put enough juice into each pie to come halfway up the apples. 

Then top with more crust, seal around each pie, and cut vents in the top.



Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle with a little cinnamon/sugar mixture.  Then bake them at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  

Look how pretty!



I had 1 little pie stick...the one that I over filled with juice.  All the rest came out beautifully!

3 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These sound so good. I used to make a lot of fried pies in the summer! Fresh fruit is so good! Hugs, Diane

Birgit said...

That looks delicious, Val! By the way, I hope you celebrated your birthday in style -- I thought of you that day. :)

Happy Birthday, dearie -- may you have a wonderful year!

Hugs,
Birgit

Kerry said...

Yummy !!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...