Wednesday, August 8, 2012

back to school

The kids went back to school today. It was hard watching them go out the door. I can't believe Kaela entered high school and that Matt only has 2 years left before college.

The bus picks up at the end of our driveway so there are alway kids in our yard...which is fine with me.
Last year, Kaela said the guys felt like I was stalking them (she was the only girl amongst 7 boys last year.) so I quit looking out the window. Today, I just said goodbye and shut the door and walked away...but I did peek.

It is hard to make kids understand that while safety is paramount, sometimes we look out the windows because we know that our children are slowly slipping away from us. Today was very bittersweet for me. I am so very proud of my kids but each time they grow,
they go
and one day, they will be gone.


I go back to work "for real" on Monday but spent most of last week prepping my room and getting organized.

This year, I have a new room and was asked to decorate my door:



Here is a close up of the fish...I got the pattern here.



I also made these little jellyfish for something different...



Since I had a ton of yarn out, I crocheted a pretty cover for a large can and made a new pencil holder



I can't believe how fast the summer went by. It seems to go by faster and faster as the years go by. I hope my kids have a great first day today....the house is so quiet right now. I miss them already...

6 comments:

Quiltingranny said...

It is always bittersweet when school starts.

Lindsay-ann said...

Val, your school door looks amazing. The fish are so cute. I am sure your students will be inpsired when they see this :) I can't believe your kids are back at school already. We are in week 3 of a 6 week break over here.
Lindsay
x

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Your door looks great and I'm sure no one else will have one quite like it. I hope your inspire some folks and kids around you to want to learn to crochet. :) Do you do afterschool activities where you could teach a class? I can't believe your kids started school. Mine start on the 4th of September. I had to go grocery shopping today and drove by the school to see how construction is going since they are remodeling the front office area, adding a library above us -- looks to me like they have quite a ways to go. I'm sure it won't even be done by the time I go back on the 26th. Yusef will be in his last year of school and Zack will be in 9th grade. Hard for me to believe. How is it that they keep getting older but I don't? Ha! Have a great day. Tammy

jane said...

your school door look great and so creative! love it.

Kerry said...

Your post made me all teary eyed .... I am so not a fan of that first week that the kids are back at school. The house is too quiet and everything just seems totally disjointed !!!
We head back on the 27th .... Rich starting Middle school and Brit in her last year there ..... the time goes by all to fast.
I love your door ... looks so cute :-)
Hope the kids had a fantastic first day back.
Sending you a big hug

Bobbypin Bandit said...

No matter how old the kids get, you will always be home for them. Nothing is better than a smile or hug from mom.

Your classroom door looks great! I wish I could decorate my classroom, but I share the classroom with other faculty on campus. Major sad face for me. I would love to decorate with all the fun ideas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...