Monday, September 6, 2010

unexpected dinner guest

I adore gardenias....look at how gorgeous...and the blooms smell HEAVENLY.
We plant gardenias every where we go. These were slow to take off because the year we planted them was REALLY wet. Gardenias don't like to be wet but with so much rain, that is hard to avoid.

They are now thriving....and blooming all the time.



I've started to worry about them because the last couple of weeks have been really rainy.

Which is why I'm sure we had an unusual dinner guest in our back yard.

We wouldn't have noticed him except Suki was going bonkers attacking the window and making funny sounds.

Kaela (AKA Curly Girl) investigated and saw this guy through the window....I was thrilled so I ran outside to get a good picture of him.
He is a gorgeous black racer. They aren't poisonous...eat mainly rodents and lizards and frogs.

This guy was about 2 and a half feet long.

He wasn't concerned with me at all. He was focused on our window. This particular window is a major lizard magnet...don't know why.




Unfortunately, not long after taking this photo, he left the yard through a knot hole in the fence.
I feel pretty certain he will be back though as we have a water source and plenty of lizards and toads.



9 comments:

mysteryhistorymom said...

I ADORE gardenias! They are my favorite, but they do not grow here.:( I used to have them in Virginia. sigh... Gorgeous! Great picture of the little snake, too. I don't mind snakes at all- as long as they are friendly.:) Lori

gin said...

Yikes! you were brave to photgraph the snake. I do love the smell of gardenias too.

Zoƫ said...

Great snake shot. I love snakes outside away from me, but I would of gone out to take a photo also (of course if it moved I would of shreked like a little girl and ran away:)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

We don't plant gardenias due to allergies but they do smell wonderful.

We love black snakes. It is actually against the law here to kill them. The only people who kill them are those don't understand how good they are for the environment. My Grandparents had one that would sun bathe on their cement carport. It was a good 6 feet long and about 5" around. Big boy! My Grandmother wouldn't come out of the trailer until it slithered away. lol.

jillytacy said...

The flowers are gorgeous but I'm not a fan of snakes!

Unknown said...

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment about a craft idea for fall. I will certainly check out Clamity Kim's blog. A centerpiece sounds like a great idea! Elizabeth

Tulsi said...

Love the flowers. Hate the snake. I could have been packed and moved in an hour. Freaks me out. Friendly, mean, good or bad I am NOT a snake person. One year about 10 years ago I was mowing the lawn in a different town we lived in at the time. Steve found a rubber snake and tossed it on me. It was a solid hour before I let him back in the house. He had to make up work to do so he didn't look stupid locked out of the house. He still tells people not to show me any snake real or fake.

Lindsay-ann said...

Hi Val
Your flowers are gorgeous. I can't believe that snake. You are obviously used to them. If I saw that snake in my garden I would be hysterical. Luckily we don't have them over here! When we visit Florida I always look under my bed for snakes!
Lindsay
x

Madelyn said...

Yikes. I would have had a fit! Snakes scare me. Oye!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...