Friday, January 27, 2012

Make It Monthly

Years ago, the big joke in our family was that I had all my Christmas gifts made or purchased and wrapped by September! I would mail things out the day after Halloween!!!!
I did it this way for about 20 years and loved it. Since having the kids though, I've progressively gotten worse....and worse....and worse!
This past year I was hitting the stores the last WEEK before Christmas and didn't start making any handmade gifts until mid November!

My shoulders and hands were soooooo sore. So.......I decided that even if I couldn't go back to the way I used to do it, I would at least start making my handmade gifts early.

My goal is pretty simple: to make 1 gift per month, all year long. If I do it, then I'll have 12 gifts completed by December.

Here is gift one, a crocheted checkerboard. It is the perfect size for using while on a picnic or camping....or on the table in someone's backyard. Easy to carry and easy to clean. I used regular Red Heart yarn.....it is terrific for this type of project.


I made a few checkers too...but they were too light so instead I bought some poker chips, they have a nice weight so they should stay put on the board.



The little bag is perfect to hold the chips and the "board" rolls up nicely. I'm going to put it in a little canvas tote when given and just stuff the top with pretty tissue. Gift and wrap all in one.


I've already got several other projects in mind.....just need to get started.

7 comments:

Denise said...

Love the checkerboard idea and good luck on getting your gifts done. I waited too long this past Christmas too and was still sewing stuff on Christmas Eve! I hope I do better this year.

jillytacy said...

It turned out great! I love the idea of getting one gift a month done. One gift per month should be doable. I think I'll join your challenge and try this myself. It would certainly help me be less stressed in November and December if I got some of my homemade gifts done throughout the year.

Kerry said...

I absolutely love the checkerboard idea .... I see a few of those in the future!!!!
I was better this year, but not as good as I wanted to be ..... SO .... I'm in:-) I'll get my January gift done this weekend.

jillytacy said...

I added the badge to my blog! I need to get going since January is almost over and I haven't made my gift yet. No worries I have a couple of ideas and a bit of sewing time on Sunday, I think. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Karen said...

What a cute idea! I love it! Who wouldn't love to play checkers at the park? I also love your one gift per month idea :)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Hey Val! That turned out soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute! What a great idea. Did you make it up or see it someplace? I never would have thought of doing that. Fantastic! So easy to carry around and so unique. Hope you are having a fabulous weekend. Tammy

Quiltingranny said...

So cool and my grands have a cloth checkerboard my dad purchased for them and on inclement days they always drag it out. This will be a wonderful gift! I wish I could do the one gift a month Val, my passion has temporarily left my body recently and I am on the road to trying to get it back! But I will post your button!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...