Friday, June 26, 2015

Five on Friday!

I'm joining AMY for Five on Friday!  

There was a lot of cooking going on in my kitchen this week but I have to give a nod to the man of the house before we talk about that!

We took Dean out to lunch for Father's Day and then came back home to just hang out together.  In truth it was a lazy day...but we have so few of those together, it was nice.  
Simple. But nice.


there was lots of laughter...
and wine! (don't you just love that vivino app?)  Totally rocks!

The rest of the week was spent channeling my inner domestic goddess.  

On Monday, I went blueberry picking with some friends and brought home 2 gallons of these beauties!  Many were frozen, some were snacked on.  Most were cooked!



On our way home, we passed a little farmer in front of his house.  He had a TON of veggies for sale.  I bought some squash for canning and several beautiful tomatoes to use for dinner.  

This is a raw tomato pasta sauce...and totally amazing and fresh tasting.  Lots of chopping but so easy to make!



On Tuesday, I harvested some basil and made 24 basil/olive oil cubes for the freezer.  It took about 3 hours from start to finish but is so worth the effort.  Nothing beats the flavor.  Click HERE if you want my "recipe."   



After that was done, I made some deli style blueberry muffins for the family.  These are HUGE.
 This one was so top heavy, it kept falling over!  I got the recipe from chew out loud's blog.


and I needed a fork to eat it all....the muffin was about the size of two normal ones.  The best part was the streusel topping!




On Wednesday, I was back in the kitchen making sweet squash relish!  I don't eat squash or zucchini....but THIS stuff is AMAZING!  Look at all the pretty summer colors in here...getting ready to be cooked up.



When that was done, I decided putting away all my canning stuff only to drag it out again in a few days was too much effort....so....I went ahead and made some blueberry jam.   I love how bright it all turns while cooking.  Oh my gosh this stuff is soooo good!



Here is is, all canned up.  
Yes, it took me ALL DAY LONG. 
Yes, my back hurt after but I got a long soak in a hot tub with a big glass of wine for my efforts. Yes, it is SO totally worth it!  

Canning, in my humble opinion, is a dying art.   The difference in flavor is amazing.  If I had space, I would can so much more stuff.  Seriously, I dream of those old cellars where you store canned goods.  My friends laugh at me.



On a side note, I did NOT can purple and gold stuff because I love LSU.  I mean, I DO love LSU but I didn't do this on purpose.  Just sayin'

Happy Friday!  Go see Amy today for more Five on Friday posts!

14 comments:

jillytacy said...

You've been so busy! The muffin looks so delicious. I agree that canning is a dieing art but it gives such a sense of accomplishment to put up your own food.

jillytacy said...

You've been so busy! The muffin looks so delicious. I agree that canning is a dieing art but it gives such a sense of accomplishment to put up your own food.

Unknown said...

What a fun and food-filled week! Do your pants still fit? :)

Amy at love made my home said...

A great foody week!!!! So many yummy things!!! Oh and things yet to come too when you eat the things that you canned!!! That is really good isn't it. The muffin looks enormous, but very tasty! Thank you for joining in! I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

eclectichomelife said...

So jealous of your blueberry haul, one of my favourite berries, reminds me of summers in Norway. Love them on waffles with a bit of sour cream too x

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I'm always amazed at all the food related stuff you get done. I wouldn't know the first thing about preserving though it's something I've always wanted to do. I've gotten so lazy. Hopefully after the summer I'll get more organized. Take care, Tammy

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Sorry Val, having major internet problems which is doing crazy things when I try to comment.

Unknown said...

Val - Wonderful post! I can't wait to taste your canning goods! PS!!!! The Blueberry Jelly is WONDERFUL. I'll be having more tomorrow morning when I make breakfast for Jane! 8-)

Elaine said...

Wow, you have been busy in your kitchen! Nothing like freshly picked fruit and vegetables. I love to visit farmer's markets but I must admit I buy more baked goods than produce.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! you have been busy. That blueberry muffin looks delicious. X

A Colorful World said...

Cute and fascinating post! Boy, there's a lot going on in your world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...