Saturday, August 1, 2009

Dinner and an apron....

Remember this post about the Lotta Trouble apron?

Well, Dean's mom was here last week and I showed her the pattern and asked her what I was doing wrong.

She took a look at it and was baffled at first so I put the pattern away. After a cup of coffee, she thought she had it figured out so we pulled the pattern out again. She said that the side panel of the pattern isn't a perfect fit. (I won't bore you with the details.)

Suffice it to say, once figured out, we just had to make the apron. It went together without a hitch and is SO CUTE!

She didn't get to see the finished apron because she had to leave...but here it is in all its glory:

The reverse is the solid green cotton.

Now....on to dinner!

Ripstick Boy is still on his cooking roll so he helped me in the kitchen again last night.

We made pecan crusted tilapia with fresh parsley potatoes and corn. He was very proud. I let him do EVERYTHING. I did a lot of standing behind him pointing at things.
He called me his sous-chef! So cute!

Anyway, here is what dinner looked like...



Pecan encrusted tilapia:


8 tilapia filets (I buy the big box 'o' tilapia at Wally world...)
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup bread crumbs
1 cup pecan pieces crushed to the size of bread crumbs (we don't do that b/c the kids like big pieces of pecan.)
lemon
1/4 cup canola oil

How to:
blend the eggs and milk in a large dish to make an egg wash
mix the bread crumbs and pecan pieces in another dish
mix flour and seasonings in another dish.

Heat canola oil in your skillet.

Dip your fillets in this order:

flour
egg wash
pecan crumbs

Then place into the skillet and fry. Tilapia filets are thin and cook quickly so don't leave them! Turn when golden and remove as soon as they are done. Place on paper towels to drain so the pecans stay nice and crispy.

That's it! Super easy.

For the potatoes:

Boil 8 red potatoes until soft (not the teensy ones)

I don't measure much of anything but here is what I put in the potatoes!

1/2 stick of softened butter
minced green onions (green part only)
minced FRESH flat leaf parsley
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste
little bit of milk
lightly crush the potatoes with everything to incorporate them all together.

6 comments:

Tammy "SweetT" said...

Thanks for the recipes. It all looks so yummy. DH won't eat anything that comes from water but I will try this when DD comes home from camp.

Solidia said...

Yum! That looks really good. I am totally making that this week for dinner!

Quiltingranny said...

So funny Val, I just completed our menu for the week and we will have walnut encrusted Halibut.

Julia said...

Cute cute apron! And I am hungry as always for food that I did not have to prepare! Yum Yum yum yum!!!

Sherry said...

MMMMmmmm! Dinner looks so good!

I love the apron, it's very pretty!

:)
Sherry

Unknown said...

Very nice apron.. the food looks yummy :)
M

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...