Monday, January 12, 2015

Recipe Box: Hot Chocolate

This last week was a seriously COLD one here in Louisiana!   We were down in the teens one night....the rest of the time we were in the mid 20's.  That is unheard of "in these parts..."  Never thought I'd have to run the pipes during the day!!!!

That being said, we bundled up and I made some comfy, hot dinners.  Comfort food is something Southerns do quite well, thank you very much.

I made potato leek soup.
I made kicking chicken chili
I made crawfish ravioli
I made my family HAPPY....

"People" in the house hinted that I left out sugar cookies when baking for the holidays so I obliged on Saturday....better late than never, right?


One morning I made this quiche....super tasty.  




By Sunday I was all cooked out but was craving something chocolately...and warm.  No way was I going into the kitchen to bake...not with those good sugar cookies on the counter.  

Instead, I made some decadent hot chocolate.



Curlygirl's first grade teacher held an annual Christmas caroling event followed by homemade cookies and cocoa at her house.   She was the neatest lady.  Most kids were terrified of her, but not Kaela. She adored her!
Anyway, she had this cocoa in one of those old fashioned coffee percolators and it was so good that I asked her for the recipe.

Believe it or not, I'd never made it before, which is nuts considering I had asked her for the recipe.  So, I pulled it out, made it and felt the need to share it.  It is SO good and so simple to make.  Be warned though, this cocoa is RICH.  As my dad used to say "A little dab-ble do ya."

Fig's Hot Chocolate recipe:

For a small batch:

Heat 2 cups of milk.

In a glass measuring cup you will make a slurry:
Boil: 3 TBLS of water.
Add: 5 TBLS of sugar
         3 TBLS of good cocoa
         dash salt.
*optional, 1/4 tsp vanilla.  I didn't use it.

Mix well until the sugar and cocoa are dissolved and incorporated.  
Add the slurry to the milk and mix well.  I use a teeny electric whisk.

Once the milk and slurry are blended, bring up to the heat you want, whisk a couple times to froth it and then serve.  Top with whatever you like.  We use whipped cream in a can around here.

Thank you to Ms. Figueroa, where ever you are, I hope you are happy and healthy!


2 comments:

Kerry said...

Yummy .... going to have to try it today. I have a sick one at home, so it may just be what the Doctor ordered :-)
Your sugar cookies are so cute :-)

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Now, Zack would love me if I made crawfish ravioli. He's been begging for shrimp so I made him some with a lemony pasta today. Your cookies definitely turned out so cute. Hugs, Tammy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...