Friday, February 12, 2010

From bats to birds....


Dean is cutting down a big gnarled tree that wasn't pruned properly. Since he had a big ladder out, I asked him to help me with an idea.

I intended to put an old bat box up...but then decided against it. The yard is small and we have pets and kids....I decided that if it did attract bats, I didn't want their guano in the yard. After all, bats don't use litter boxes!

It was too nice to just toss so I did a bit of research and found that the box is the right size for red headed woodpeckers.
Dean took over from there. He added a removable floor, some ventilation holes and the little entry hole. He also on added the little perch for 'looks.'

Now I'm crossing my fingers they will use it....or that SOME bird will!


7 comments:

Claireabelle said...

Fabulous!!! Lucky you having such a handy hubby too!
x

mysteryhistorymom said...

HOw fun! I hope you get a nice little family of birdies! Red headed woodpeckers are lovely! Lori

Jenny said...

how neat! Are you getting any snow now?

UK lass in US said...

I hope you have better luck than we ever did. I think expecting any birds in a back yard with two nutty dogs in it was a bit too optimistic on our part, mind...

AwtemNymf said...

You're just sooooo kind! The Faeries will LOVE you for helping their feathered friends!
HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!

manda said...

Here's hoping!!! We have heaps of birds nesting around our place! This last Spring just gone (Sep-Nov here!) I counted over 10 noisy minors nests, 1 magpie nest, 2 blue-faced honeyeaters nests, 1 crows nest, 1 kookaburras nest, and 1 pacific bazas nest! (google them if you wanna know what they look like!)
I've never seen a red heded woodpecker! I would love for you to get smoe around and be able to take photos, and for Curly Girl to draw one!
Hugs! Manda

gin said...

that will make some bird family really happy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...